Courses - Basic Bushcraft Weekend
The Green School Basic Bushcraft course is designed to give you the confidence to spend time comfortably in the outdoors.
We start by teaching you some of the fundamental skills that you need to have for the outdoors, and we adopt a very much "hands-on" approach: where every student is encouraged to participate. Our instructors are on-hand at every step to guide, encourage and support you as you learn. Our emphasis is on having fun and enjoying yourself, so please don't come expecting a "boot camp" approach.
There is a strong focus on safety, teaching students the the most effective, straight-forward ways to many achieve tasks, as very often we have found these to be the best in situations where "the chips are down"!
Some of the topics that we will cover will include:-
- Getting dressed for the occassion
- Getting to grips with being outdoors
- Simple methods of fire lighting
- Preparing tinder and laying your fire
- Selection of the right types of wood for burning
- Simple cooking and fire management
- Bannock making
- Safe use of a cutting tools
- Care and maintenance of your cutting tools
- Shelter design - establishing your needs
- Shelter building - practical session
- Setting up camp & managing yourself outdoors
- Water collection & methods of purification
- Simple knots and lashings
- Tree & Plant ID walk
Bookings from groups and corporate teams (up to 15 in number) are welcome.
Please Note: Unless otherwise stated this course is entirely self catering, although we will provide all the tea, coffee, hot chocolate and bannock making ingredients! You will need food enough to last you for 2 full days (i.e. 2x 24 hours). If you are unsure please contact us.